Friday 27 August 2010

Day 63 St Louis De Kent Rest Day

Last night dinner was pretty good, we each had a Lobster and a couple of bean salad type side dishes follwed by Bill Brandy soaked Bananas so all in all a good meal.

After dinner we lit our first real fire of the trip and few of sat round and chewed the fat over a few drinks but after an hour or so the weather turned wet again and I headed for bed.

Friday dawned clear and warm but with the threat of showers, I slept in until about 8am and then got up as a group was headed for breakfast just up the road. We all piled into a local Motel and pretty much demolished their buffet breakfast but it was nice to be able to sit and eat and have luxuries such as toast for a change.

After breakfast Kelly and I had one last attempt at fixing the lap top but unfortunately it was to no avail so we have admitted defeat and I will try to resolve issues upon my return to the UK.

I have given the bike chain assembly a good clean and oil this morning, it was making some weird and wonderful noises by the end of yesterdays ride. After a short test ride to the local Coop to buy food it seems to have been cured.

The rest of the day has been spent catching up with family, swimming in the camp site pool and resting, I am knackered after the last 6 days. I don't know why I feel so tired, maybe the faster days and head winds took more out of me than I thought, but today has been a really lazy day and my body is telling me that is what it needs.

Tomorrow we start the last push, as many are calling it, with no more days off until we get to St Johns on Sept 5th. There are 600 miles to go, most of which should be on reasonable terrain but there are a couple of tough climbing days ahead on the Cabot trail. Thankfully the weather appears to be set fair. Mentally I think a lot of us are just keen to get the miles done and finish, it has been a most wonderful time and I have met some fantastic new friends but it feels at times as if we have been at it for ever and it will be great to get to St Johns and hop on the flight home.

Dinner tonight will be a pot luck affair as most of the dogs have been into town and bought various bits and pieces to share, I dread to think what combinations we will deliver but it will all be eaten.

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment