Friday 20 August 2010

Day 54 Montreal to Trois Riviere

After a night on a blow up mattress in Daniel's lounge I awoke to the warmth and dry of a house and the smell of fresh coffee.

We munched our way through salmon and cream cheese bagels and eventually hit the road at about 7.30am.

We road through the Olympic park and I had my photo taken on the Gold Medal podium before we met up with J and John, who had also stayed in town, and headed out towards Trois Riviere.

There are bike paths everywhere in Montreal so the route out was not only easy but safe,after we left the Island we just stayed on the main road north until we got back onto the planned route where we would join the others who had camped about 40 km from Montreal for some unknown reason.

We stopped for lunch and I had a medium sized Poutine, which is French for chips in cheese and gravy. It was massive and I wasn't able to finish it but it was really good.

After lunch we just put our heads down and headed for camp, most of my electrical items were failing as I hadn't charged them the night before, my GPS gave up after only 39km so I was guessing a bit on my map reading today.

The camp is good, we are out in the open so no Mozzies and the showers are clean and warm, I have got the tent up and am awaiting dinner, Beef Bourginion, which will be interesting bearing in mind they are cooking it in two pans in about an hour, Lets hope for the best.

Randy has been getting some stick because he spent the day with “the Ducklings” a name given to some of the group that follow each other about like a line of ducks behind a leader and for some apparent reason I was given stick as it was alleged I had taken a truck ride from Montreal to Trois Riviere, what a weird bunch we are!

Tomorrow is another relatively easy day at only 80 miles as we head for Quebec City, but there are a couple of stiff climbs as we hit town. We have a rest day in the City on Friday so I'm looking forward to having a look around.

Onwards and Upwards

2 comments:

  1. Andy,
    That is some kind of poutine! What's with the hotdog pieces and peas??? I hope you had Randy and Tom help you 'wolf' it down. I'm sure you would have all been last to reach camp after that kind of French delicacy:)
    All the best biking conditions while you soon enter into New Brunswick. Make sure you try to bike down Magnetic Hill, or is that bike Up???
    Take care and all the best
    Jane Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you. Riviere Clarke Quay

    ReplyDelete