Friday 6 August 2010

39 rest Day Wawa

After a quiet night in catching up with family I was about to head for the bar when the heavens opened. That was all I needed to dissuade me so I spent the rest of the night reading up on the sports news etc before getting to bed at about 11.30pm.

Morning arrived wet but mild and we walked into Wawa to get the washing done. Wawa is struggling to exist; it has very high unemployment and is three hours too far from anywhere to be a tourist town so it’s quite a depressing place to be. The population has shrunk from 5500 to 3100 over the last few years. We tracked down the local Laundromat, which by the time we got there was already full of TDC’ers, then went for breakfast. I finally cracked after 5 weeks and ordered Eggs Benedict, the true athlete’s breakfast, which now means I don’t need to eat again till dinner as it was massive.
 
Washing done we headed back to the Motel and sorted the bike and I tried to upload some videos to Facebook but the link is so slow it was going to take hours so I gave up on that idea.

I have given the bike the once over and cleaned the chain ready for tomorrows exertions and now I’m just pottering around doing bits and pieces, loading audio books onto my iPod and drying out my tent bag that was left out in the rain last night before I go for a siesta. Sods law is that I have mislaid my third water bottle and there are no services along tomorrow’s route so I might have a few water problems if it’s hot. The suggestion from a few of the riders is to ask the truck to stop half way and allow us to fill our bottles, but I don’t know if they will do that or not, failing that I’ll have to buy a bottle of water before I leave town and pack it into my saddle bag.

I don’t think there are any plans to go out tonight, I just need to find some food somewhere, probably at the Motel Restaurant and then hit the sack. Tomorrows ride is 105 miles with two big climbs towards the end. The word is once that is done we are over the worst of the climbing for a while.

Onwards and Upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment