Monday 23 August 2010

Day 58 Riviere Ouelle – Trois Pistoles 75 miles

The day dawned bright and sunny after a cool night, but it was not to last. After a quick breakfast Don, Kev and I left the camp and immediately realised that we had a horrid head wind to contend with and in the distance it looked like rain was coming.

We ploughed on ably assisted by Kelly and Judy but the going was tough as we only averaged 20km/h just 15km/h less than yesterday!

After a brief stop for coffee we decided to just plough on as we knew the day was going to be tough into the wind and we wanted to get as far as we could before it rained; I hadn't brought my leggings so I was particularly keen to get to camp.

We manged to get the first half done in reasonable time and then stopped for a McDonalds, only to find a Burger King just down the road!

The second half of the day was just as tough although we joined another group and so at least it made the pace line work a little easier.

When we were about 30km from camp I was convinced we were about to get soaked as the countryside to my left and upwind was disappearing under what I thought was a rain squall but as it swept up to us it turned out to be fog rolling off the sea. Whilst it made it colder at least it wasn't wet.

We ploughed on and got to camp about 4pm, I had a quick shower and set up my tent and then turned my attention to cooking. Tonight it was vegetarian curry, the only problem was there wasn't enough spices and so it was pretty weak and tasteless but in fairness the staff has gone the extra mile and bought some naan breads to go with it.

As I type this it is just easing a little wind wise but it is still cold, I fear it could be a cold night. Tomorrow we start to climb again, we are on sweep duty so we will be late off and probably late into camp, but at least we wont be cooking.

No photos today due to technical problems....I forgot to take many and they were rubbish

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment