Sunday 15 August 2010

Day 48 Nestleton to Carrying Place – 84 miles

After a really good nights sleep I awoke and sorted my gear for the days ride, had breakfast lubed and was just getting onto the bike when I noticed the back wheel was flat!

Randy was indisposed so it was left to Tom and I to sort the problem, there was a huge whole in the tyre but we couldn't find a hole in the tube; nevertheless we replaced both and I now have a red and white front tyre and a black and white rear one, I'm sure the fashion Police will soon be on my case.

We rolled out of camp intending to do the SDA (Shortest Distance Available) but Randy threw his bottom lip out because he wanted to do EFI (Every F'ing Inch) and follow Buds map. As usual we gave in to him and started off following the directions. Within what seemed like yards the roads deteriorated and we were bumping along secondary roads questioning why we had given in without a bigger fight. However the route was quite picturesque and we spent a couple of hours riding through some quite affluent countryside.

The pace was slow this morning as there were loads of twists and turns so after about 80km and just before we turned into Tims house for lunch I started to bonk. I went all wobbly and had to scrounge food off Tom and Randy.

I limped into lunch which was fabulous. His wife, kids and neighbour had laid on quite a spread of burgers, potato salad etc and we gorged ourselves for an hour or so and then headed back onto the road.

The afternoon didn't go any quicker, I don't know why but I was feeling a little flat today and I finally got to camp at about 4.30. I quickly set up the tent and had a shower and then started cooking Pasta Al Verde. Which is Chicken veg and pasta. We were late getting it served but it seems to have gone down quite well. How they expect 8lbs of chicken, with bone in, to feed 40 people though defeats me, sometimes the portions are just ridiculous and its gets peoples back up a little

The camp site is on Lake Ontario and is quite luxurious. The weather looks set fine and so hopefully I will sleep well as tomorrow is a longer day at 101miles.


Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment