Wednesday 25 August 2010

Day 61 Atholville to Petit Rocher 60 miles


I awoke relatively warm and despite the loss of the hour the campsite was quite perky, perhaps because they knew it was only a short ride of 60 miles today.

We broke camp relatively late at about 7.45 and headed into town for a picture with a giant trout as the area and river is famous for its fly fishing.


After we left Campbelltown the route meandered along the Matapela River, it was relatively flat but there was one 13% climb, just after coffee, at the top of which we met two of last years tourists, who, surprise surprise, were not complimentary of the tour and we discussed all the same issues about food and dirt that I have already documented.

The rest of the ride was quite pleasant except for a long patch of roadworks where the road was very rough, it certainly makes your eyes water after a few Km!

About midday I finally got a mobile signal and I was able to catch up with Z.

The down side of having a signal was that I got the very bad news that my cousin Robbie had finally lost his battle with cancer and passed away this morning. I've spent a while today thinking of the good times we had as kids at Xmas ,on holiday together and how brave he was in his fight.

At times like this you feel a long way from home but I know that the family will look after Lynn and although I wont be able to get to the funeral my thoughts will be with the family on the day.

Tomorrow is our last day in this run, about 80 miles I think and then we are due a rest day on Friday.


Onwards and Upwards!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for few words about Rob, ride like the wind in his memory.
    Lin.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick post from Big Lar to wish Randy a happy birthday on Sept 1st.

    ReplyDelete