Thursday 26 August 2010

Day 62 Petit Rocher to St Lois De Kent 92 miles

Having caught up with Z on Skype on Wed evening (Thanks to Tom for loaning my his lap top.) I returned to camp to find a small revolution in play, there were many unhappy campers complaining about the food again. We had been treated to vegetarian rice again! What TDC don't seem to realise is that even if your change the name of the dish if you put the same ingredients in each time its the same meal. Its hard on the cooking crew but probably reflective of how TDC treat us.

After dinner Tim, Don, Tom, Randy and I threw together a clam chowder. Tim had bought Clams and Mussels and between us we managed to turn out quite a nice chowder, supplemented by Tom's cheese and biscuits and a couple of pies, one meat and one raisin. All in all not a bad effort for a bunch of kitchen shy blokes. What was my contribution I hear you ask? Well Randy and I helped with some of the cooking and then ate it, not a bad contribution if you ask me.

As we were finishing up it started to spit with rain and so we dived for the tents. It rained on and off all night and I awoke to a dark, we put the clocks forwards an hour yesterday, damp and soggy campsite. It was quite glum this morning as everyone knew it was going to be a long day and the drizzle wasn't going to help much.

After breakfast Don, Tim, Randy, Tom, One Sock and I headed out and just got on with it. We were wrapped up in our waterproofs which kept most of the wet out but the trouble is they can't dissipate the heat and perspiration we athletes generate so you get soaked inside anyway.

We stopped for coffee at “Rotten Ronnie's” as McDonald's has become known and I had a chat with some local gents about the trip. They asked me to thank the Queen on behalf of the Canadian people for inventing ice hockey all those years ago. Just as well really or they wouldn't have had anything to talk about or do in the winter if we hadn't.

After the break the weather slowly improved and we knocked off another 70km or so before we stopped for lunch and a change of clothes. Tom was really pleased as he had to cycle across a huge bridge, he is not good at heights but he managed it and only cheesed off one passing motorist by refusing to move to the edge of the road.

With waterproofs removed Tim, Tom and I knocked off the last 50km in short order, although I was about knackered at the end and was grateful to arrive at camp. I quickly set up the tent to try to give it as long as possible to dry and then hit the laundry and washrooms.

Tonight we are having Lobster, we are spread betting on how much Lobster we actually get but never the less it is lobster.

There are no photos for today as I forgot my camera.

Tomorrow is a rest Day which will give me a chance to get up to date with washing and packing ready for the hectic last 9 days or so of the trip.

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment