Sunday 15 August 2010

Day 50 Ivy Lea to Ottawa – 95 miles

Another fun day on the roads.

I awoke to a dry tent! Breakfast was decent and I was ready to roll at 7am. Todays crew was Randy Don, Tim Simo, One Sock Bob and myself and we moved off with a tail wind and sunshine.

The first half of the day was through beautiful countryside with small old fashioned looking villages; I assure you though the prices are in no way old fashioned as they border onto the St Lawrence River and are prime real estate.

We rode along the Canadian side of the river and could see the USA as we moved but after my last experience I had no desire to cross the river.

We were flying along and only stopped briefly for a drink at a 100yr old shop that had one of everything in stock from Kit Kats to fuel pumps, it was really eccentric and a bit of an Aladdin's cave.

Half way distance came very quickly, we had been up to 40km/h at one point, so we stopped fro breakfast in Merrickville. There was a very pretty canal bridge and museum so we took a few photos and then hit the road again.





The rest of the days ride was fantastic, fast and rolling through the outskirts of Ottawa. We arrived at Carlton University at about 2pm, we had covered 95 miles in under 5hours, very fast for me.

After finally sorting a Skype chat out with Z doing washing and starting to update the blog we had Pizza for tea as there are no cooking facilities on the site, ( it will be interesting how TDC are going to provide food on the RD as we cant cook and the fridge is turned off!).

Tonight we are off into town to attend a Military band concert with the RCMP and USA Marines Band, should be good and then probably a few beers to follow.

Tomorrow will be lazy, catching up on the blog and hopefully sorting my lap top if I can down load a boot disk. (Whatever that is??)

Today we passed 5500km, now only another 2000km or so to do and I am done!

Onwards and Upwards!

3 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying reading your blog. Very detailed and interesting. Brings back memories. Your comment on the chicken portion reminds me of our experiences with the meat portions or lack of on our trip last year. Anyway, enjoy the "journey" as it seems like you are. Terri Rintoul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying reading about your adventure but finding it frustrating to get in touch with your group . Have been trying to track down my brother Greg especially while he is in Ottawa...would like to touch base but can't get through at the UofO residence if there is any way you could help it would be great his name is Greg Cripps and I,m Kim my #613-726-9884. I will keep trying the res but I'm sure you guys have better things to do than hang around the dorm thanks again if you can help

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having a blast reading about your adventures but having trouble trying to find out how to contact my brother who is in your group I understand he will be in Ottawa today and would like to touch base..have tried the residence but no luck so far I don't imagine he will be spending a lot of time in his room if you could get my # to him it would be great Kim 613-726-9884

    ReplyDelete