Monday 23 August 2010

Day 59 Trois Pistoles to St Damase 82 miles

Last night was bloody freezing! I awoke feeling a little under par and after last night curry made three visits tot eh bathroom before I felt it was safe to leave camp.

Initially the weather was better than yesterday in that the wind was not as strong and the sun was out but as the day went on it grew stronger and as we were still on the coast the wind was cold as well so I was well wrapped up but still feeling less than perky.

As sweep we leave camp last so our group plodded along but after about 30km caught the tail end riders. We heaed fort eh nearest town for breakfast and then just made our minds up that we would grind out the mileage and get to camp asap.

After about 80km we stopped for lunch at a very nice restaurant on the beach with some weird statues outside. I ahd a lovely fish dinner and it was cheap.

After lunch we just pace lined until we were within about 15km of the camp where we finally turned right and away from the head winds. However this was to signal three relatively tough climbs and one massive descent during which I hit 76km/h. It was so fast and bumpy that I was scarred to take my eyes off the road to look at my speedo, it caught me a bit by surprise after so long on the flat, I'm just glad I'd taken three visits at the camp before I left.

The hills are a signal of things to come tomorrow it is hilly all day.

Onwards and Upwards!

1 comment:

  1. Andy,
    76km/h would have definitely been a scary ride. I hope Tom and Randy weren't biking too far ahead of you--tee,hee:0
    Let's hope there's not too many more places like that to bike, right?
    Take care and keep an eye out for those nasty decents!
    Jane Rogers

    ReplyDelete