Wednesday 25 August 2010

Day 60 St Damase to Atholville 90 miles

Another freezing night with a chorus of snorers and then at 5am the local chain saw gang turned up and started warming their saws up, what an absolute pleasure that was!

Having got up and grumpily got sorted I moved out of camp with Randy in a cold mist. Tom was on kitchen duty so we left him behind; we had arranged to meet Dona and Tim at the entrance but they had gone on ahead so we just hit the road.

It was damp and cold and visibility was not good which made the experience of turning onto what we would call a “B” road even more interesting as we hurtled down hills into the oblivion wondering firstly where does the road go and secondly where are the holes on the road?

After about 30 mins we caught up Don etc and thanked them in the traditional manner for waiting for us, we then cycled on together whilst they cowered full of remorse until the mist began to clear and one sock (recently renamed three socks after an official complaint) lead the way.

We stopped for a break at a McDonald's and then shortly after resuming Serge came upon us and joined our group. Serge is one of the strongest riders and I have wanted to cycle with him for some time. I plonked myself on his wheel and we made off over the horizon. The roads were rough but we were flying along compared to my usual pace and I was feeling quite good.


About 80km into the day we stopped for Blueberry Pie and then we set off on what was to be the fastest 40km I have ever ridden. Serge got us up to speed and then we just rotated the lead for 40km up and down, mostly down, the valley bottom road. It was brilliant but I had to work really hard to keep up the pace, especially uphill but it did evidence how much fitter I am today compared to 9 weeks a,go.

As we arrived in Matapedia, I was on my last legs but I had managed to cover 40km in just over an hour much faster than I have every ridden before.

We stopped for a drink, joined by Trevor, then took the last 20km of the day easy, crossing into our 7th Province of New Brunswick.


We arrived in camp early, in fact we were first in, and so I was showered and tented before many got in, useful as I was cooking again tonight, swapping with Trevor.

Dinner went well, chicken curry and as the clocks have moved froward an hour today we are about to get to bed.

A great day but my only frustration was no mobile signal and no Internet, lets hope for both tomorrow.

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment