Saturday 14 August 2010

Day 45 Owen Sound to Alliston – 80 miles

Another frustrating night! Following the heavy rain the sun came out and helped dry everything out but in doing so the humidity levels just rocketed and by the time we got to bed it was very close and muggy.

I had opted to try out the Thermal mattress again, a decision I was to regret as it was so small compared to the previous mattress. I settled down well but soon the tent was like a sauna inside and I was drenched with sweat as the humidity just didn't reduce. I slept on top of my sleeping bag until about 3am and at that point the temperature dropped and I ended up cold and clamy ( no jokes about this being normal here!) and then when I tried to get warm I found my blankets were all damp.

I finally gave up trying to sleep at about 5.45 and got up, packed the tent and got ready for a long 105 mile ride to Alliston. However over breakfast a number of alternative routes were being discussed and once Tom and Randy had returned from their night in a motel we opted for a shorter route hoping we would get in early and avoid the bigger climbs of the day.

We set off towards Collingwood and after a few miles pulled in for Coffee, then we went onto the Georgian Trail, an old railway track that runs along the northern coast for about 40km and is very similar to the Nene Valley Way back home. The trail took us away from all the traffic and through the swanky golf courses and posh houses that look across Georgian Bay. There were the normal middle aged women joggers who seemed to have certain appendages that probably weren't present at birth and a quota of stereotypical middle aged men all dressed in posh gear but puffing like a knackered horse.

After a quick bike shop stop in Collingwood, (I resisted spending any money), we headed for the local McDonald's and downed a gourmet meal accompanied by the Dollar drink (free refills) and then continued on our way.

Heading south we were soon overtaken by the weather and it started to rain. When I say it started to rain it was more like someone had emptied a bath onto us, it was almost as bad as the day into Kenora the only thing missing was the thunder and lightening.

We cycled on for about 2 hours and were absolutely soaked before we got to the site in Alliston. Tom and Randy headed for a hotel to meet their wives and I headed to camp to get sorted and await the Lakes.

As I write this the weather is still foul, we have had thunder and lightening but fortunately there is quite a large outdoor preparation centre we are using so we are at least able to get our kit out of the wet.

Tonight I am out to dinner and maybe out to sleep as well, tomorrow is a rest day but I expect it will be spent cleaning and sorting clothes and meeting the rest of the Lakes: it has been 7 days since my last washing day and most of my gear is either wet or dirty.


Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment