Monday 5 July 2010

Day 6 -Merritt to Prichard 80 miles

My rest day was spent doing bits and pieces; catching up with washing, blogs and sorting clothes out in my trays.

The evening got cooler and I hit the sack at about 8pm and was fast asleep by 9pm. I awoke in the early hours as it was fairly cold and windy but I had managed to get through until about 6am when I heard the morning chorus of zips being opened so I got up and packed away my tent ready to perform my morning kitchen duties.

After a heart breakfast of pancakes and porridge I set off at about 8am for the days ride. I was expecting a gentle riverside run with a following wind however we had a head wind and the flat course was in actual fact gently climbing of falling all the time. Having said that thought the scenery was fantastic, I saw an Eagle swoop and take a fish out of the lake, cowboys lassoing cattle and a very old (for Canada) general stores which had loads of old photos on display.


Today is “Canada Day” so everyone wears red and the lady at the country store gave us all flags to ride along with.

About 90km into the ride we took to the back roads and for the remaining 30km we were on and off dirt roads. The bike handled it all very well but the roads were rough and every now and then I would get my timing wrong and get quite a jolt. One descent was so dusty that I had to go down it with my feet unclipped as the wheels kept slipping out from under me, quite scary I can assure you.

The arrival in camp was welcome, I had found the day quite tough as my legs never really switched on and I am really tired now. Dinner was lentils and rice with brochette which has gone down really well. 

I manage to catch Zoe on Skype and whilst I am typing the blog the Canada Day celebrations are beginning, I can hear them singing their National Anthem and I think fireworks are planned for later.

Not sure what tomorrow will bring as I haven’t seen the map yet but I’m sure it will be beautiful.

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment