Friday 9 July 2010

Day 14 Airdrie to Drumheller – 72 miles

Dawn broke early in Airdrie as people made to get away early avoiding the forecasted heat. I was up early too and on the road by 7.20am and just as well as it was 17degrees by that time. The feared thunder storm did not arrive but the noise of the traffic and the planes going into Calgary airport made up for that.

Today’s ride was gentle really with decent roads for most of the day and just the odd rolling climb to get the lungs working. But by 11am it was 29 degrees and climbing so with the heat bouncing off the road as well it was really hot.

We stopped for a coffee at a traditional looking coffee shop and had a couple of pots of coffee and then headed back into the heat. Shortly afterwards Zoe rang and I spent a few Km chatting away to her as we made our way through the foothills of the Rockies and into the prairies proper.

There wasn’t much activity on the road to report today really, we got to Drumheller at about 1pm, it is very touristy and the centre of Canadian Dinosaur land so I was quite glad that our camp site was 10km out of town in a nice quiet area.

My cycling buddies, Tom and Randy both have family to visit tonight so I cracked on with getting my tent up, did my washing and had a swim and am now settling in for the afternoon. I will pay for 24hrs of internet tonight which will allow me to get my blog updated and allow me to Skype Zoe later tomorrow.

Alex, Polly and family are due tomorrow and I hope to get some mail from home when he gets here. We don’t have firm plans but one I do have is to eat steak as although the tour food has been quite good, I have yet to get stuck into some real tasty meat.

Rest Day Tomorrow and then we start a 5 day stretch across the prairies; long and flat and if the weatherman is to be believed HOT HOT HOT!

Onwards and upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment