Sunday 18 July 2010

Day 22 Regina to Grayson 100 Miles

Despite the promise of good weather the day dawned cloudy and windy, quite disappointing as I had packed for a sunny 24degrees and so had to quickly repack the bike and throw on some warmer cycling gear.

I had also been woken early by good news from home with the arrival of Mr Felstead’s first Grandson overnight, welcome to the world “JJ”.

Breakfast done we headed out into the gloom and into a cross wind which dogged us for about the first 50km or so. We had arranged to stop at the first town on the map to let Tom catch up, he was on breakfast duty, but when we got there it was so small that it didn’t have any services and so we have to cycle on.

About this time we came across a very irate motorist who seemed somewhat upset by the presence of cyclist on his “F”ing Highway. After a short exchange of Anglo Saxon he cut me up, pulling in front of me and slamming his brakes on, I thought I was on for a rumble but he didn’t actually stop and then just shouted abuse at me whilst I laughed in his face. I’d have been alright thought as Randy is an Ice Hockey player and they are hard as nails!

Some miles down the road we pulled into Fort Qu’Appelle, officially named after a famous French Canadian who claimed the land for the immigrants or as I like to think Fort “What’s its name” a literal translation, which having seen the town seems more probable. We pulled in for Coffee and a snack and found out that the same motorist has introduced himself to many of our tour this morning, so at least it was a personal thing!

After 30 mins or so Tom arrived and after coffee and nibbles we moved off. It was just as well I had had my caffeine injection as it was a steep climb out of Fort What’s it Name before we were back onto the flatter prairies.
The team socks have gone down well we have been tooted by many Riders fans during the day, and we went down well in the lunch time pub where they had the live game on the big screen.

The ride today was my first of 100miles, once I had got into my rhythm and the wind had settled down I quite enjoyed the day, it was harder work than the last few days with those massive tail winds but it was still relatively easy riding and it didn’t rain.

Tonight we have real meat for tea in the form of sausages made in the village we are staying at. We are camped on the village green with access to the village hall for showers cooking etc, the sun is now out and people are mingling and chatting, it’s so much more enjoyable when it’s warm.

Tomorrow day 2 of 6 in a row.

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment