Thursday 15 July 2010

Day 16 Drumheller to Youngstown 92 miles – My Birthday

After a great night’s sleep on my new mattress I awoke early and opened my birthday cards. It was a bitter sweet moment as although it was great to have so many cards to open it also reminded me that there are some special people out there that I won’t get to see for many weeks yet.

Today has been a day to remember, I’ve lost count how many times people have sung happy birthday to me, and everyone has been really pleasant all day.

The ride was tough today, not only was it the longest I have ever ridden but we spent all day battling against a strong side wind. The road was fairly flat but the wind was a killer and there is no relief on the prairies.

The first two ours efforts rattled of 40km and then we turned with the wind and the next 20km took 30 mins, an indication of how debilitating the wind can be.

We stopped at a café in a one street town and I had hot blueberry pie and ice cream and was subjected to a formal interrogation by the Vietnamese owner regarding our poor world cup performance.

A further 50km into the wind and we arrived at Hana,  a small prairie town and the home place of the band Nickleback.

A further 50 km and we finally arrived in Youngstown. Tonight we are being hosted by the towns folk, we are sleeping in the sports hall, the town hotel has opened late for us to drink and the locals have fed us an absolutely fantastic pot luck meal, something they have been doing for the tour since 1993. It is a real event in the town and people drive many miles to deliver the food. 

I was just so happy that I didn’t need to put up my tent!!

After the meal and the obligatory happy birthday song I had to say a few words of thanks on behalf of the tour, I ended by saying that the evening event has been a very special end to a very special day!

Tomorrow is another long ride about 92 miles again, let’s hope the wind changes!

Onwards and Upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment