Friday 23 July 2010

Day 27 – Beausejour to Kenora 105 miles



A day of two halves.

Breakfast duty meant a slightly later leave than normal, by that I mean 8.15 instead of 7.30am.

As we left "one sock Bob" mentioned to me that there was a 100% chance of a  thunder storm; two things flashed through my mind, firstly why didn’t you tell me that before we left camp and secondly what made me remove all my waterproofs from my bag?

The first part of today was great; at one point we had a 10 person pace line running doing 1KM each and then having 9km rest, brilliant.

An early coffee at a local bakery was welcome and then we headed off into a slightly changing landscape. As we headed toward Ontario it became more rolling and there were more trees to cycle between so it was more interesting than the prairies.

However at about mid day the black clouds we had been monitoring decided to drop a large amount of water upon us. The next 4-5 hours was spent cycling through some of the worst weather I have seen in years, thunder and lightning and torrential rain meant we were soaked. Thankfully it was warm or we would have been in trouble.

Our last 50km was really hard psychologically as we tried to get into camp asap. We moved into out 5th Province,Ontario with about 40km to go.

Un-surprisingly the weather promoted discussion regarding the use of a local hotel upon arrival in Kenora. I was all for it, I was soaked, and so when we hit the city limits we headed for the nearest Best Western and Mr Rogers, know worldwide for his negotiating skills, negotiated a decent deal so we booked in for two nights.

A quick trip to the campsite reaffirmed the decision as the others were struggling to get kit dry and some of our kit bags were soaked. We grabbed all our clothes so we could visit the Laundromat in the morning and headed back to the hotel had a shower and then went for a really good meal.

As I type I suit on a queen double watching the news on TV, what life and no rice in sight.

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment