Wednesday 28 July 2010

Day 33 Thunder Bay - Rest Day

Things were bit muted this morning, it had been a really hot and sticky night and with shared rooms it didn’t make for a good nights kip. Most of the late nighters were asleep in the lounge as they had crashed there because it was cooler than their rooms and it meant they didn’t have to wake everyone up.

I managed to drag my tired limbs out of my pit at about 9am and after a couple of hours mooching about headed into town to fetch the bike.I engaged is a bit of retail therapy in the cycle shop and bought myself a Canada Cycle top.



Tom, Randy, Marc and I then started the hunt for one of our previous family houses in town. As luck would have it the address wasn’t too far from the bike shop and after only a couple of wrong turns we came across 519 Donald St West. 
The current occupant was in the garden and we had abrief chat with him and the neighbours, spookily there were people opposite who remembered the family name and some other English people who had moved into the area at about the same time. I was very much the talk of the street but sadly no one could recall where the commemorative Plaque had been erected.


I phoned my mum from the front porch and updated her on the state of the place and took some photos and then it was off to the next most important thing on the agenda, food.

Thunder Bay has the largest Finnish Population, outside of Finland in the world and we have been recommended a local Finnish restaurant. It took some navigation to get to but eventually we found it and I went for the traditional Mushroom Burger, Cherry Pie and ice Cream option.

After lunch I headed back to the Uni to get some rest and sort my kit for the next 4 days of riding. As I type I am sweating in a very hot and airless room with a snoring Greek next to me ( In another bed I add) but it still beats a tent in the woods I promise you.

The rest of the day will be taken up by Skyping family and maybe a visit to a baseball game. Canada are playing the Czech Republic in the Junior World Championships just around the corner and it seems only right that having invented the game I as the only Brit on the trip should go and see how the game has evolved over the last few centuries.

Back to work tomorrow, a short 67 miles but lots of hills on day 1 of 4 heading to Wawa.

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment