Friday 9 July 2010

Day 11 Golden to Field – 40 Miles

A short but beautiful ride today.

I awoke after a cool night to a picture postcard scene of mountains and cloud free blue sky, with the sun soon to appear over the mountains it was forecast to be a gorgeous day.

Leaving Golden behind us we climbed into Kicking Horse Pass, a fairly steep climb in places but some gentler parts also. Although we were still on the TCH there was little early traffic and we came across various forms of wildlife. I was climbing when I became aware of Kevin waving frantically ahead of me, assuming the worst I started to look around for an accident or someone broken down only to look to my side and see a huge Ram standing about 8 feet from me the other side of the barrier. The Ram had huge horns, (but he had to wear a bell as they didn’t work!!), and he just stood there looking at me as if I had invaded his land. Sadly before I could get my camera out he had moved off and I only got a distant photo.

A short while later we came across his harem, trying to cross the road, they seemed completely un-phased by us and just bounced across the Highway.

After about 18 km or so the road flattened out and we had a lovely rolling ride through the mountains. There was a slight headwind which was quite sold but compared to previous days it was heaven.

We arrived in field at about 1130am and with only 3km to go to the campsite we sat outside a coffee bar looking back down the valley across the Emerald Lake, (the water was Emerald in colour) and just watched the world go by for an hour or so.

I have to say I have been to some beautiful places in the UK and abroad but nothing could compare to today, snow capped mountains emerald green rivers and clear blue skies, sitting there in the sun without a care in the world having just climbed a mountain takes some beating, my only regret is that Zoe wasn’t with me to see it, but perhaps in few years?

We moved on to the camp site which is “rustic”; no power, no phone or internet and amongst the pine trees. After putting up the tent we had a cold beer and showered etc and as I sit here now I am looking up at Mt Stephen and watching the sun glisten off the glacier which appears to be several thousand feet above me.

There was an option of riding another 12 km to a waterfall but I’ve decided not to go and just relax and take in the view.

Tomorrow is, I think, another relatively short day as we climb out of Kicking Horse Pass, cross into Alberta and head for Banff. In a couple of days the Rockies will be conquered, I know there will be more scenery ahead of me but I think I’m going to miss the mountains.

Onwards and Upwards….and the weather forecast is good for a week!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment