Sunday 5 September 2010

Day 72 Argentia to St Johns 83 Miles

Well what a night and what a way to finish!

Last night TDC decided to book us into a camp site on the top of a hill and without any cover, one toilet between 28 blokes and no facilities at all to speak of. That would of course have been fine if it had not been for the strong winds that we put our tents up in and a forecast that predicted 80km/h gusts overnight.

Simo and I were already having problems trying to keep the tents up so we sweet talked the security guard into letting us use one of the offices to sleep in, we kept it quiet and just took down our tents and moved inside. We were having a good laugh at the expense of the others still trying to battle the elements.

At about 10pm though it got really windy and few tents started to come down. We were joined in the office by a steady stream of de-tented campers and the halls, toilets and offices were all utilised.

This morning was carnage across the site and people were just glad to have survived I think.

Having got over all the emotions of last night we set off quite early for the last ride of the trip. One benefit of the storm was we had a great tails wind for much of the ride which made it so much easier.

The first 40km were knocked off very quickly in just over an hour and then we pulled in for breakfast.

Breakfast was uneventful until another table erupted with laughter, it transpired the waitress had asked Randy if he wanted the Seniors rate for his breakfast, she thought he was 65 or older! Obviously the whole group consoled him in his moment of need and fiercely rebuked the waitress and none of his closest friends thought it was funny.

 








After breakfast we just knocked off the km's until we got to town where a larger group met up at a Tim Horton's. We then all moved off together and cycled the last few km into St Johns together. We paused at the Terry Fox memorial and then dipped our wheels in the harbour before heading to the top of Signal Hill for the finish line. The last climb was tough but we all made it and at the top there was great deal of relief and happiness as people congratulated each other for making the trip.

The first thing I did was to phone Zoe and then send a few texts to friends and family, it was a strange feeling stood there looking back over the town where we had come from and then looking East out to sea towards home. I was closer to home than to Vancouver and although I have had a fantastic time I will be glad to get on the plane home.


After a while at the top I rolled back down Signal Hill to our hotel, checked in and got my bike stripped down ready to put into the bike box. Tonight we have a dinner and drinks planned which I'm sure will be good laugh.

Tomorrow is just packing and flying so no blog.

In the meantime I must record a few thank-yous;

Firstly to Zoe for putting up with all the planning, training and of course the absence for the trip, I have missed you more than you can imagine and can't wait to see you on Tuesday.

To Lois, Matt, the outlaws and my parents for their support during the trip and to all the other family and friends who have sent messages during the trip.

To Randy and Tom (and the five star babes) for making the trip a fantastic one, friends for life I hope, even if Randy is apparently so much older than Tom and I. I hope Mrs Rogers Snr will forgive me for my tongue in cheek comments with time.

To all the other ”Dogs” and members of the tour who have all contributed to me having such a great time, you are always welcome at my door, well except for Kevin "The Dog" as his manners are terrible.

And finally one thought. As you will have read I recently lost my cousin Robbie to cancer. As I climbed Signal Hill I thought of Robbie and Linda, his mother, and how very lucky I was to be able to do what I have just done. I have thoroughly enjoyed my trip and I will enjoy the memories of it for many years to come.

Upwards and Homewards!!!
















THE END.

2 comments:

  1. Andy

    What an amazing journey. I have followed you from the beginning. During that time - I rode from Vancouver to Inuvik with TdC. I thought of the cross Canada riders many times. Anyway - glad you made it - hope the trip home and the "recovery" time is uneventful. It took me almost two weeks before I got excited about doing anything at home!!!!!

    Congratulations!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,
    It had been a blast over the last 10 weeks, and in exchanging messages prior to the start.

    Let's plan on the NYC Century ride in 2011.

    To Andy's followers, he was the impromptu Emcee at the Awards Dinner last night and had everyone in stitches with his comments and summary of events.
    Great riding with you Coast to Coast!!!

    ReplyDelete