Saturday 4 September 2010

Day 70 Englishtown to North Sydney 30 miles

A slow start today as we had loads of time on our hands. I had sorted my bags last night so it was just a case of packing the tent etc away and then get ready for a short ride to the ferry.

Last night was entertaining though for one of the group. Taso got up during the night to attend to a need and when he got back to his tent there was a Coyote outside his tent eating some rubbish off the floor. After a few seconds it made off but it put the wind up him a bit, and it was only 10feeet from my tent so I'm glad I hadn't got up!

We set off at about 9am and having turned left out of the camp we were greated by a short but stiff climb up to the main road and then a steady climb for another 5km or so up to the top of Kellys Mountain. The descent was good fun and I got overtaken by the local Police officer who tried to get me to ride on the hard shoulder, but I carried on as the shoulder was covered in rubbish and cracks in the tarmac and I didn't fancy that at 60km plus.

We crossed over the river and Tom had to go through the wringer again as it very high and narrow, not good for someone not good at heights.

After a quick breakfast snack we knocked off the remaining 25km in record time and found ourselves in the very small town of North Sydney with not a lot to do for about 12hours......so to the pub we went.

Some hours later, and after a visit tot he local library we hit the TDC rendezvous point got fed and then headed for the ferry terminal for a shower and air conditioning.

As I sit writing this we have another 3 or so hours before we board and the news is we should not get hit too hard by the Hurricane.

So today I finally crossed a continent on my bike. I can say that as Newfoundland is an island and not part of the continent as such, 7500km completed with just 148km to go until I have cycled through all 10 provinces of Canada.



Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment