Saturday 4 September 2010

Day 71 North Sydney to Argentia 266 Miles

All our fears regarding the weather seem to have come to nothing. We boarded at about 11pm, I had to strap my bike to a metal pillar which didn't impress me much as there wasn't much protection if the ship rolled about and then I went straight for the bunk having doped myself up with travel pills.

I hit the pillow and with the exception of the odd snorer in amongst the other 25 or so in the dormitory I slept well until about 3am when I awoke couldn't feel the boat moving at all and so went back to sleep. I woke again at 6am and got up and was pleased to note the floor wasn't moving at all. I popped outside and the sea was flat and the sun shining. After a quick photo I went back to bed and that was me until about 10am when I finally crawled out of my bunk again to find we were fog bound in a flat calm, quite a difference from 100mph winds and 25ft waves as predicted.

The ferry was quite old but comfortable, but the Internet signal was poor and despite others having a signal my mobile didn't want to play.

We disembarked on time and after a short delay unloading bikes, none of which had any damage thankfully we pedalled off into out 10th and final province of Newfoundland.

Tonights camp site is an RV site with not many facilities. I still can't get a mobile signal but I do have Internet access. It is on top of a hill in the middle of nowhere with no protection so lets hope the wind doesn't get up or it could be an interesting night!

So tonight is my last night under canvas, tomorrow I bin the tent and most of the trimmings so I don't have to cart them back to the UK then its a short 148km into St Johns, with a predicted strong tail wind hopefully and then its all over.

We have a dinner and karaoke planned for the last night plus a few speeches. I am hoping to get away early tomorrow and get to the hotel in time to strip and pack my bike before dinner then I have Monday to sort my bags before I fly home.


Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment