Wednesday 1 September 2010

Day 68 Lake Ainslie to Dingwall 88 miles

WOW What a day!.

I woke about 5.30 and thought I'd grab another half an hours sleep. It started tor ain at 5.40am and by the time I'd got up and sorted my sleeping gear the tent was soaked. Breakfast was a mess as the rain kept starting and stopping and I couldn't make my mind up what to wear. I knew it was going to be a climbing day so I didn't want to wear my waterproofs but it was 80km until we started to climb so I didn't want to get wet and then freeze as we went up the mountains.

Thankfully the rain stopped as we were about to leave camp so I packed the waterproofs in the bag just in case. In fact I need not have bothered as the weather got better and better as the day went on but who was to know?

Tom and I were on our own to day as Randy (Birthday Boy) was on galley duty and Tim and Don were taking a short cut to North Sydney to avoid the mountains. We set up at a gentle pace as we knew it was going to be tough but after a few miles we got into our rhythm again and with a healthy tail wind were soon in Cheticamp come 80 along the road and having breakfast before the first big climb. The first part of todays ride was beautiful, it was like riding along the Cornish Coast with some Mountains to look at inland.

I have to admit I was a little nervous as everyone we have talked to about the Cabot Trail has told us whata difficult route it was so I headed out of Cheticamp with a little flutter in my stomach. When it came it was just like watching the Tour De France, one minute you're cycling along a flat valley the next you turn left and this mountain pass erupts out of nowhere. We started with what was described in the notes as a warm up, just 14% and about 1km long before it flattened a little . We got through that ok and then the road just kept climbing at anything from 8% to 12% for the next 9km. It was relentless and the sweat was dripping off me like never before but I got into a nice rhythm and just tapped it out all the way to the top.

I stopped to put some gear on at the top anticipating a descent but after another 2km and no descent I took them off again and just carried on. The notes told me we had another climb almost immediately but as I approached it the wind got behind me and I was coasting along up an 9% incline at about 34km/h. It was a fantastic feeling after such a tough climb. When the descent into Pleasant Bay came it was to say the least exhilarating. Switch back turns and steep descents, flat out along the straights then hard on the brakes to slow for the 180 degree bends, popping out to overtake cars and trying not to cross the centre line as you went around the hairpins in case you hit oncoming traffic.


 At the bottom we stopped for lunch and I had a lovely seafood dish then we headed out knowing the worst climb of the day was to come.








6 km down the road the worst climb I have ever been on started. We turned right and there in front of us was a 4km climb at 14% more or less straight up. I got started ok but for some reason just could not get into a rhythm like the first climbs.

I tried every trick I knew to try to get going but in the end had to settle for just grinding it out in my lowest gear. After 2.2km I was traveling at 5.1km/h and was so slow I was having trouble balancing so I stopped and tried starting again but to no avail. I decided to walk for a while to get my breath back and after 100m or so got back on but without much success and after another couple of attempts to get going decided to cut my losses and walk for a while. I think I walked for about 1.7km at about 4.8km/h just a fraction slower than I was when riding but I managed to get to a point where I could get back on and finish the climb.

At the top I was absolutely knackered, but the descent soon brought me to life again. I maxed out at about 77km/h as I shot down the mountainside straightening bends and hitting the apexes, it was brilliant.

The remaining 20km was just a case of getting to camp along the valley floor. I arrived in camp absolutely jiggered but it had been a great day, probably the most existing and most definitely the most difficult of the tour.

Tomorrow I think we have about 80miles to do with a slightly less difficult climb and then we had downhill back towards the dreaded Ferry trip...no news on Earl yet!

Oh and I saw a Moose today with a calf!!!


Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment