Thursday 2 September 2010

Day 68 Dingwall to Englishtown 65miles

After celebrating Randy's birthday with a Lobster dinner , courtesy of Tom I hit the sack early and very tired. Sadly my sleep was disturbed by the digger working in the tent a few yards away from me and after an our of trying to ignore the snoring I resorted to ear plugs before I was able to get back to sleep.

At about midnight I popped out to serve the call of nature and for the first time during the trip there was a clear sky and I was able to see the stars. There were so many more than I am used to seeing. It was amazing and I stood for a couple of minutes trying to work out which constellation was which before the Mozzies latched onto me and I had to head for cover.

The night was very warm and I awoke to a dry tent and steady SW breeze which meant headwind.

We moved out quite early, today was shorter than yesterday and only one major climb but we wanted to get it done before the heat got too bad. Almost as soon as we got out of camp we were climbing, not the gentle warm up we had all been looking for, but I just ground it out for a few km and then was treated to an 8km 6% descent which was great.


The first 40km or so was rolling with the odd steep ascent but then we got into a series of road works; over here they spray the roads to keep the dust down but that means that as you cycle through you get covered in a fine spray of mud which get everywhere and makes your bike and all your gear filthy.




After the road works we stopped for breakfast before the big climb and then set out again slightly worried about how the legs would hold out after yesterday.

We started the climb of Old Smokie, a famous Mountain in Canada and subject of songs and nursery rhymes over many years. Just as we got to the foothills the we swept round a large bend and the wind was behind us all the way tot he top. The climb was about 4/5km but it wasn't as steep as yesterday and with the wind we flew up tot he top. Coming down was great fun, sweeping bends and steep declines and at one point I turned into the wind and was almost knocked over.

Having dropped like a stone to the bottom I teamed up with Dan and Shirley as the rest of the ride was into a strong head/side wind which was hot and very drying. WE trundled on over more rolling country and then enjoyed a very brief rest as we got a ferry across the peninsular into Englishtown.

Englishtown is not a town, in fact its no more than a hamlet so we went straight to the camp where we have had to spend some time sorting bags ready for the ferry trip tomorrow. The plan is to get to into town for a dinner at 6pm load the bikes onto an new truck and then board the ferry at 11.30pm, we depart at 01.30 Sat Am. I checked with Z and we are hopeful the hurricane, or whats left of it may miss us.

Tomorrow is only 49km into North Sydney so should be a breeze.

Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment