Sunday 6 June 2010

I think that’s about it

With only two weekends left before I depart I have all but finished the preparation for the trip.


On Saturday I went out with a group of friends from work and enjoyed a 40 mile ride across some beautiful countryside with the sun on our back and little or no wind to speak of.  There were a couple of testing little climbs but it was mostly just rolling country and I finished with loads of gas in the tank. This was our second ride of the week as we had also been out on Thursday evening and completed another pleasant 35 mile loop in glorious evening sunshine.

Next weekend Zoe and I are taking Georgia, our granddaughter, away in the caravan for the weekend. We planned this trip some months ago not realising it was going to clash with England’s first World Cup match against the USA so we will need some careful timing to make sure we still get settled in time for the kickoff.

The original plan was that the girls slept in the van whilst I slept in the TDC tent; however, I think the Caravan Club can be a bit testy about tents and awnings on one plot. I think I’ll probably end up in the awning; still, it will give me a chance to test the sleeping bag and thermal sleeping pad.

Hopefully I’ll still manage to get a long ride in on Saturday, there is a 10 mile loop of the reservoir so I could take the mountain bike and do a few laps or I might take the road bike and have a pedal around Cambridgeshire.

We will need to get back home sharpish on Sunday morning as Matt has his first 10km run at Stanwick Lakes. Hopefully the weather will hold and we can than all come back home for a Sunday evening BBQ.

This week is going to be busy, we’ve got to get the caravan washed, garden furniture re-varnished, I need to grab a few final bits and pieces and get a few 2 hour rides in as well. In an ideal world I’ll have everything I need by Sunday night so that I can get packed early the following week giving me the final weekend free for my pre-trip party.

With only 18 sleeps till departure I am starting to get really excited about the trip but I am also a bit nervous, particularly about my ability to ride day after day after day. It’s also starting to dawn on me just how long I’m going to be away from Zoe and the family, by the time I get back it will be autumn!

2 comments:

  1. Andy, I know how you’re felling ,all kinds of emotions at work, excitement for the adventure , trepidation about ability , sadness of leaving loved ones behind, all mis- mashed in together !!. It’s going to be a long hard final two weeks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, if England and Argentina end up meeting we’ll just have to do one of those side trips they talk about and find ourselves a pub to watch the game !!!!

    ReplyDelete