Wednesday 30 June 2010

Day 2 Vancouver to Mission 54 miles

Despite a favourable forecast the day dawned damp and cloudy. As it turned out this was to be the driest part of the riding day but unfortunately the consensus was it would brighten quite soon and so I didn’t bother with my waterproof booties, something I would regret.

The day started at 8am with a group photo and then a trip along the coast to a beach where we dipped the wheels in the Pacific Ocean.

Having completed all the traditional bits and pieces we headed off across Vancouver City. It was slow progress as we went right through the city and were constantly stopping at traffic lights, the group soon became split up and I ended up in a group of about 10 people all of a similar speed. About an hour in we rode into the suburbs and things got a little easier as the roads became less congested.

Two hours riding coincided with a Starbucks stop where I made the mistake of asking for a large Hot Chocolate; I think there was about a litre of fluid plus 3 inched of cream and I couldn’t finish it but it certainly warmed me up. We moved off and it was at this point that the drizzle we had been riding through turned to heavy rain, I was ok on my top half but my legs and feet were soaked.

The rain persisted for the rest of the ride but thankfully, as we pulled into the campsite at Mission, it dried up just long enough to get my tent up, have a shower and sort out tomorrow’s clothes. The camp site is small and based around a trout farm so its fish and rice for tea.

Not a long day but it was good to get going and I am pleased my legs and lungs didn’t let me down. Tomorrow is broadly similar but day three will be a step up as we get to the coastal mountains.
Onwards and Upwards!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment