Sunday 28 March 2010

Hills Week

This week I have gone to town on hill work. I wanted to make sure I could get up some testing slopes with my current gearing and so after a couple of hill rep sessions mid week on Sunday I heading into the Welland Valley where I could find some lengthy 8-12% grade hills.

Although bright and dry it was very windy and sods law was that the wind was also right against me on the major climb making them even more challenging. I started in Great Easton and headed out toward Eyebrook Reservoir, which incidentally, was used as a practice venue for the Dambusters during WWII. As I got to the bottom of Medbourne Hill I dropped into bottom gear and just tried to spin my way up. It just happens there was a time trial coming the other way so every minute or so a proper cyclist would come whipping down the hill towards me, they were really travelling and some were using tri-bars which must have taken some bottle at that sort of speed.

Thankfully the spinning in a low gear was appearing to work and once I got my breathing into sync it was a lot comfier than I thought. Although hard work I was able to keep the cadence quite steady and even during the steepest bits was able to remain in the saddle, I was quite chuffed.

I did 3 5 mile circuits each with a mile climb and then after the third climb I decided to go straight back down and up again. As I turned at the top the wind was right behind me and I flew down the hill breaking 42mph, my fastest ever. I have to say it was a little worrying when some idiot overtook coming up the hill which presented me with the brief thought that I was gong to end up on his bonnet but he got back onto the right side of the road in time. At the bottom I turned around and headed straight back up again.

After 4 climbs I decided that was enough and headed off towards Medbourne but this was almost head on into the wind so hard work, I even had to peddle hard when going down hill into the village which is a weird experience. I was feeling quite good so I decided to head back via Nevil Holt for a real tough, although short, climb. I did most of it in the saddle but also tried a little out of saddle going up the gears each time and found it relatively comfortable and much more stable with the smaller rack and bag. Having shot down Nevil Holt hill I made my way back to the car, pausing only briefly when a pedestrian stepped out in front of me, but I managed to shout and he pulled back, from then on it was an easy ride, wind assisted back to the car.

Next week will be a little easier as I taper to get ready for “The Quatro” next Sunday, an organised 82-mile sportif and the next step up in mileage for me, lets hope the weather holds.

Onwards and upwards.

1 comment:

  1. Andy,

    Glad to see you are approaching the hills with gusto. The only way to master (tolerate) them is to climb them. Psycologiclly, the two most important things in my mind are: 1) For every foot you climb you get to descend one foot (think of it as putting money in the "gravity" bank!) 2) If you get a chance, climb a col form the tour (or equivalent) there is something strengthening, after having ridden 8 miles of Ventoux (and 4,000' of climbing in those 8 miles) to know that hills here (NJ) end after two miles at the most.
    Keep up the training, there is no substitute for time in the saddle...

    ReplyDelete