Sunday 14 March 2010

Back on the road again!!

After a frustrating 3-week break I have finally got my TREK back and have managed to get back out on the road.

The fault with the front gear shifter has been fixed and they have fitted a double shifter now so the problem should not reoccur. It feels much better as there is no dead ground as you shift up and down.

The objective today was to test all the bike rack. I managed to get a comfy 45 miles done but it was clear very early that the seat post based bike rack was going to be an issue. The quick release mechanism is too large and my inner thighs were catching it, plus the bag is so high above the rear wheel that it rubs on my bum and it really badly effects the balance of the bike, when I got out of the saddle going up hill I nearly lost control and it was a little unnerving on the down hills as it just felt a little light at the front

Having done some research it looks like they’ve sold me the wrong style of rack and bag, one suited for a Mountain Bike rather than a Road Bike, but I will take it back and try to swap it. I’m hoping that as I’ve only used it once and it is still clean they will agree to swap or part exchange for the new kit. Whatever happens I need to get a new rack and bag as this set-up just isn’t workable.

The next few weeks will be interesting, the mileage is starting to ramp up and I have entered three Sportives which vary from about 80 miles up to 100, my first century. I am planning to start commuting to work as the light is good enough now, but with all the trips to HQ it might prove difficult. I intend to cycle up the to the in-laws in Nuneaton next weekend which is about 60 miles so lets hope for good weather.

Onwards and upwards!!

No comments:

Post a Comment