Sunday 18 April 2010

Slow week but a good weekend.

Despite my hopes of a quick recovery I had to bite the bullet and pull out of my planned 100 mile sportif this weekend, there was just no way I had recovered enough for such a long ride. I did try the turbo on Tuesday evening but it was soon obvious that I wasn't going to be fit for the weekend as my shoulders and groin were just too stiff and painful.

I had a pleasant weekend though; on Saturday I went to see Northampton Saints V Gloucester with my Dad and my son Matt plus his mate Lewis, also a mad keen cyclist. The weather was beautiful plus it was an easy win for the Saints which is always a bonus.

On Sunday I finally got back in the saddle, I did a gentle test for 6 miles of so with Matt and despite the odd wince as I hit a bump or two things felt pretty good, I was also able to check the bike wasn't damaged. We had our first BBQ of the year and Zoe's Mum and Dad , who had been victim of the volcano, came over and tried to make the best of a semi warm Raunds as opposed to a fortnight in Florida.

This week will be a recovery week, I intend to get out as much as I can, probably concentrate on hill work, and try to get back to fitness ready for the Shires and Spires 80 mile Sportif on 2 May.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you back in the saddle!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,

    Glad you are getting riding again. As our former President (Clinton) would say "I feel your pain." A wise choice not to push yourself too hard too quickly.

    I published an update on my bolg as well.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete