Sunday 11 April 2010

Recuperative Duties

After last Sunday’s fall I have been forced to take a week off; I still have bruises like I have never had before. I am continuing to pop pills and as soon as I sit down for any length of time I stiffen up, despite which I feel as if I am in the home straight as each day that passes it eases a little.
I have not wasted my time though taking the opportunity to engage in some retail therapy, replacing my hat, adding a frame bag for those all so important sweets etc and then a trip to Milton Keynes where I hobbled around and in the course of doing so managed to blow a few quid on a number of shirts and jumpers that I clearly could not exist any longer without.
Hopefully, I will attempt an hour or so on the turbo Monday evening to test the shoulder and elbow out. I am a little concerned that unless I am pain free by about Thursday then at next Sundays 100 mile ride I may have to take the 100km option and hope to get through it with the help of the local pharmacist.
I am fairly happy with my current fitness though and I don’t think a week or so off the road post accident will make a huge difference. I am certainly glad it happened now and not later in the year as there is no way I could have continued on the TDC in the state I was in Monday morning. I have plenty of time to make up the missed miles and even with a week off in May for a trip to the sun in Turkey there are loads of chances to get a couple of weekend back to backs sorted.

Onwards and upwards….74 sleeps to take off.

2 comments:

  1. Boy Andy that’s a awful bruise !!!, if that’s how you leg ended up can you imagine what would of happened to your head if you weren’t wearing a helmet, scary to think about !!!
    Hey , I read your comment about the rain cover for the Topeak bag , I went on there web site and I saw one that does covers the bag and panniers, I was going to inquire and see if I can get it. Did they tell you it was not available???
    Take care of that bruise , hopefully your back on the bike soon !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,
    Welcome to the club - I have more pictures of bruised thighs, shoulders than my wife, Annie cares for.

    To quote the Black Knight (from the Holy Grail) "It's only a flesh wound!" Has it started to itch yet? If not, you may want to hide belt sanders etc. before it does.

    If you haven't already, you may want to have a physical therapist have a look at and treat your thigh. I have had similar bruises - well unfortunately, much worse - and the physical therapist used either electrical muscle stimulation, or an "infrared" or equivalent heat treatment on the bruise which greatly improved the healing process. They even asked if I would mind if their summer interns could look at and feel the injury as part of their training, it was that impressive!!!

    Best of luck in your recovery.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete