Saturday 6 February 2010

So how do you prepare for such a ride when the longest ride you have ever completed is 180 miles split across three days?

Luckily the training I had put into the London Marathon last year gave a good base upon which to build, reading magazine articles it would seem the theory behind the training was much the same, build a base then work on strength and speed, so that’s what I’ve tried to do.

In August 2009, I started cycling more than running and over the weeks since built up some mileage on my mountain bike whilst I awaiting the arrival of the new road bike.

In October the new TREK 1.7 arrived and I found myself on a 6 month training plan which, much the same as the marathon, emphasised long and slow weekend rides with some turbo work (mainly due to weather and the dark evenings) to build some speed and strength.

Now in February 2010 I am some 400 miles into my plan, with a couple of 30/40mile rides in the can and feeling comfortable on the bike. I have invested and been given for Xmas presents good quality kit, taken and researched advice from many and am now for the first time beginning to notice improvements in my fitness as I ride along.

Tomorrow I am entering my first public event, a reliability ride at Wigston, Leicester. This will be the first time I have ridden with what I consider to be proper cyclists so I am a little nervous that I might look a complete prat and it is also the longest ride so far at 47miles. With luck all will go well and then I can continue to build the miles, test the rear rack and other kit over the next few weeks and months and hit the magic century mark in about May.

So far So Good…onwards and upwards!!

No comments:

Post a Comment